Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Then and Now

I must be getting old. It seems like the world has changed so much since I was a boy, especially in the realm of music. Whenever I turn on the radio (which is rarely) I always find myself muttering about how terrible the songs are both musically and message wise. Music is largely subjective so perhaps I just have different taste than the majority of people listening to the radio. But what about the message? Has mainstream music really changed that much from when I was boy or am I just being a crotchety old man? This was the thought in my head on the way to work today so I thought I would take a moment to look at the Billboard top 5 songs as of today and today's date thirty years ago. Lets start with today's date back in 1981:

1)9 to 5 by Dolly Parton
-A song about the difficulties of work.
2)Keep on Loving You by REO Speedwagon
-A song about love and commitment while facing difficulties.
3)Woman by John Lennon
-A song about love
4)The Best of Times by Styx
-A song about two people in love in a difficult world.
5)I Love a Rainy Night by Eddie Rabbitt
-A silly song about loving rainy nights.

And now today's top songs:

1)Born this Way by Lady Gaga
-A song about accepting who you are.
2)Fuck You(Forget You) by Cee Lo Green
-A song about a guy whose girl broke up with him and is with another guy so he
just says fuck you alot. "I guess the change in my pocket wasn’t enough, I’m like
f*ck you and f*ck her too."
3)S & M by Rihanna
-A song about well, sado-masochism. "Sticks and stones may break my bones but
whips and chains excite me".
4)Fuckin Perfect by Pink
-A song about self esteem. "Oh pretty, pretty please, don’t you ever feel like
you’re less than f***in’ perfect.(how poetic)
5)On the Floor by Jennifer Lopez Featuring Pitbull
-A song about dancing and drinking at the club with sexual double meanings. "Now
pump it up and back it up like a Tonka truck...All I need is some vodka and some
chunka coke and watch a chick get donkey konged"

This might not prove one way or another whether I'm a crotchety old man but I think the comparison speaks for itself. If this is the kind of stuff we are filling our kids heads with it is no wonder they are more dysfunctional than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment